When you are applying for college admission, it's important to do everything possible to make sure your application really stands out. Sending a cover letter in support of your application materials can be a great way to capture admissions officers' attention in a positive way while also giving them a chance to learn a little bit about your personality and unique circumstances.
Example Cover Letters for College Applications
You can use a cover letter whether you are applying via the common application or if you are submitting an individual admission packet.
- If you are using the common application, send the cover letter at the same time that you complete the application or a few days before.
- If you are submitting a school-specific applicant packet, include the letter with all of your other materials.
Choose the sample letter below that best fits your needs and adjust it to convey key highlights of why you should be considered for admission. To access each letter, simply click the image. It will open as an editable PDF file that you can customize, save and print. This guide for Adobe printables can be of assistance if you need help accessing the documents.
Writing Your College Application Cover Letter
While the samples here are great starting points, you will need to adjust them to focus on your specific situation. You will need to include:
- Why you want to attend this particular school
- What your academic interests are
- How the school is a good fit for your academic interests and long-term goals
- How your background and future interests make you a great candidate to consider
- Any special connections you have to the school (i.e., do you have relatives who graduated from the school?)
- Details on how the other components of your application packet will be received
- A specific request to consider you for admission
- Details on how to contact you
Stand Out to College Admission Officers
A well-written cover letter can be a terrific add-on to your college application package. Not everyone will think to send this kind of document, so it just might help you stand out among the other applicants. Of course, a poorly-written letter can have the opposite effect. So, be sure that your letter follows an appropriate business letter format, really presents you in a positive light, is well-written and error-free.